Monday, April 14, 2014

Financial tune-up.

I haven't posted in a while as I wasn't sure how my blog was coming across :) I am passionate about trying to help people get through the mumble jumble of finances, however I have never sat down to actually write about it. Also, I can't say I am an expert by any means, I worked in the bank for 12 years and have completed some financial courses but do not have a Financial Planning degree. That said, sometimes I feel I lack the experience to actually sit down and give advise on money :).... My posts are more about trying to increase knowledge of finances.

I do truly feel that we should be taught about money from a young age. I am sure some people are, but most people I ask say they were never educated about finances. I have for sure made my share of mistakes and am far from perfect with my own finances, but feel I am better with my finances compared to where I would be if I didn't work at a bank for 12 years. That is where I gained my knowledge, not in school, not from mentors, but from hands on experience at the bank. Not everyone wants to be a banker (and I don't blame you), so who better to get a bit of info from, then from a previous banker??

I am not an expert writer, so hopefully what I say makes sense, if not I am open to feedback and questions. Also, feel free to share your experiences as I am sure we can all learn from each other.

My topic today is 10 items I recommend you do in the next 12 months to give yourself a financial tune-up. Some of you may have done none of these, some may have done a few and some may have done them all. Anyway, here we go with the basic points, and I will expand on each of them, one at a time, in future posts.

1) Create a Budget.

2) Get an Idea of your Net worth

3) Set short term and long term goals

4) Make sure to pay yourself first with AUTOMATIC contributions

5) Work TOWARD being and staying debt free.

6) Look at your interest rates

7) Never forget to set up and review your emergency reserve account

8) Make sure your family is protected

9) Check your credit report

10) Check your investment portfolios, learn about what your invested in and re-balance them if needed

No comments:

Post a Comment